Friday, August 13, 2010

The Garage Sale

We got a flyer in the beginning of June from a group of neighbors saying they were having a garage sale that we could join. Robb and I have been meaning to have a garage sale for years, and now we really needed to because our construction of our bedroom couldn't happen with all the stuff in it. Pretty much since we moved in, we've been putting things in the attic that we didn't know what to do with. This was the perfect motivation to clean out the attic, as more people usually come to a neighborhood garage sale, than to a single home sale. The first step was going through everything in the attic, and deciding if we wanted to keep, sell, or throw away. I think that this step was the most work, and time consuming. It took a whole weekend and a few days during the week.
Before, in the attic

Everything went into the living room, and then we took those loads to the garage
Not for sale!!
Look, we have hardwood floors up here!
The week before the garage sale, we got all of our tables, and moved out what we had in the garage onto the tables.I can't believe that we had this much stuff!The garage sale stretched 3/4 of our driveway!We put the tables in the garage, so they were ready to go in the morning.I worked from home Friday so I could sell, but Robb had to work. I had a lot of setting up to do before the 8 o'clock start time. (It really started at 9, but apparently old people garage sale shoppers don't care what you say, still come early, but we were warned of this.)The finished product!I sat at this table until about 10, when I got a fan and moved into the garage in the shade. It was really hot when we had our sale!
Having a garage sale was an interesting experience. People are so cheap it was insulting. Some stupid lady wanted to buy a new suitcase that was priced at $10, and I told her I'd sell it for $5. She goes, "can I get it for $3?" NO!!!! It was already half price, and she left!! Really, $5 for a brand new suitcase was a great deal, whatever.
Also, people were funny with our cherry tree. We have a huge cherry tree by our garage that was dropping cherries constantly on the sale table underneath it. I must've swept them at least 10 times throughout the day. The cherries themselves are little and we've never thought to eat them, cause we don't know what kind of tree it is. This random guy was shopping, and walked right up to our tree, plucked off a handful, and started eating them! I shouted at him to stop, since they might be poisonous, but he just kept popping them into his mouth, saying they were good! He told me that they were sour cherries, and he's eaten them since he was little. I tried one, and it was VERY sour. I have no clue what anyone would make with such a sour cherry! That same day, another lady did the same thing as the guy. Walked right up to our tree and started eating the cherries! Maybe, I should start selling these each year! What a weird bunch of people who shop garage sales.
All in all the sale was a huge success! We made a little money, made a huge tax deduction, and got rid of all of this stuff. It really makes turning our attic into our bedroom much more realistic! Amazingly, NOTHING, came back in the house!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know what you can do with those cherries? Make cherry pies with them (and a lot of sugar). One time Mom and I traveled all the way to Pittsburgh to pick cherries like that at the Park Avenue house (when your Great Grandma Julia lived there).

Dad