Monday, May 30, 2011

Kayaking the Grand River

Last Sunday I went on a kayak trip on the Grand River through the Lake Metroparks. I like to kayak, and have found a program where you paddle 6 sections of the Grand River throughout the summer. If you paddle 5/6 sections, you'll earn a tee shirt! Anyhow, that day was supposed to have a 30% chance of showers, and when I woke up, it was DOWN POURING!!! Cats and dogs all the way out to the launch site! When I got there, ten minutes early, no one was there. I waited about 5 minutes, and then decided to drive to the launch site. (The idea is get a ride to the top and paddle down to where your cars are waiting at the end.) I literally just made it to the launch site in time to still make the trip. Every single person was in their boat and about to head out. Turns out the registration lady told me the wrong time, a half hour too late AND I didn't get the call from the instructor detailing the trip as I was supposed to. But, one guide got me a boat and paddle, shoved me off, and then we started out to catch up to the group. And the first thing the guide said to me was, "follow the bubbles..." What bubbles? He shouted, "they'll show you the best way to get through the rapids!" Great. Rapids! Oh boy. He kept on with telling me, as I've heard several times with white water rafting, if I fall out, to keep my feet up and float out of the rapids. This was going to be interesting. See there was this question of competency...

The program said it was level 301, which is their highest, and you had to be a competent paddler. I wasn't exactly sure what kind of competent they were talking about. Competent to paddle yourself a bunch of miles, not tip over, and able to steer yourself. (Yes) Or, competent to make it through rapids, roll over under water, and maneuver over waterfalls. (No)

I was starting to be concerned I was NOT competent. But, I made it somehow through the rapids and didn't tip over. Then, there was a nice stretch of calm water to get comfortable with the basics, got a good tip from the guide (your shoulders to your hands is a box, so when you paddle, your paddling with your core instead of your arms, making it possible to go farther without getting tired.) After this, I was feeling much better and more confident that I did have the basics, and should be able to make it.We went through one more rapid and caught up to the group where there was a boy scout kid and his dad in a canoe. My confidence in my competency grew. If they could do this, I could do this!
We paddled a total of 8,5 miles, and I was just fine. There were actually quite a few rapids, and I got very comfortable with them. The best part of this trip that makes it all worth it, is what I saw!For the first time in my life, I saw a bald eagle in the wild. Not just one, but four! About halfway through our trip, the guide pointed out a young bald eagle perched on a tall tree, drying his wings out. (They don't like to be wet) He was a young eagle, still all brown, and huge! Next, randomly out of nowhere, and adult eagle was sitting on a branch, watching us paddle by. Normally this is unusual, they are usually shy, this bird didn't mind. When he was done watching, he flew right over my head! He was the biggest bird I think I have ever seen. He was a white headed, yellow beaked, dark bodied, majestic animal! Just when I was feeling like I'd had the luckiest trip, we saw two more young birds, circling around in the sky.

No comments: